I've been a patient and a nurse this week.
It's weird how empathy works - I've been very empathetic with patients this week, just naturally, probably because the last few weeks I was ill myself. I've been patient, making time to spend more time with patients who are "going through something" - asking questions that I know will lead to long conversations that just a few weeks I would've avoided at all costs so I could not be stuck in the room that much longer...
It helped to be a patient for a few weeks. I find myself thinking, "What did it feel like to sit in that room waiting for the nurse? Maybe I should go in and let them know when I will be in to talk with them or explain the procedure." Even the once dreaded "Here are you test results" phone calls I didn't dread today. I spoke more clearly and spent more time with the phone calls today then I ever have, and yet didn't feel rushed.
I wonder if this natural empathy will continue when the feeling of it wears off?
Thursday, March 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment