Monday, January 21, 2008

la montana

Mount Baker

It actually stayed sunny all day today. I walked around outside on my lunch break, trying desperately to feel the sun - but I couldn't. The wind chill made it feel 12 degrees or something. So much for that. But it was still a beautiful day.

One of my patients, the first patient at that clinic to ever come back to me just to say, "Thank you. I appreciate the hard work you did for me." came in today. Out of over 200 patients with chronic heart failure I manage daily - I can count on my hand the number of people who come back afterwards to say even the most simple thank you.

I wasn't really expecting to see him so soon after his follow up was only three months ago, and once someone's heart function has improved - and his miraculously back to normal - we don't see them as often. His check up wasn't due until July. He rolled on in in a wheelchair. The first thing I thought was, oh, no, he couldn't have had a stroke, we made sure he was anticoagulated... unless it was an aneursym. But no, then I saw his hat. He never wore hats. And he had lost weight. He was a happy chubby guy.

Cancer. He came to say goodbye.

I'm really glad it was sunny for him today.

No comments: