Saturday, December 09, 2006

drug-dealer-PGA-tour-car

I've heard in marriage there is a lot of compromise. I figured out a compromise for me and Josh regarding the rental car:

It can still be from Tiger Woods and I can still be best friends with him, but it also is a drug-dealer car. Except no tinted windows because we don't actually deal drugs. But we can drive by people and be all like, "We're so going to bust'a cap, yo!"

So, Tiger Woods' drug dealer car. There you have it.

In other news, we got to eat dinner with Josh's dad who happened to be in town on Thursday. I had the most amazing chicken linguine with sundried tomatoes and white wine sauce. There was also burnt cream for dessert. It was the most fabulous meal and I was in heaven. It was good to be around Josh's dad, I really like him. I wish we didn't live so far away from family.

Yesterday at work it was a pretty full emergency room. Here's the catch: I don't work in the emergency room! Geez. People: stop collapsing in our office.

Nah, the emergency situations are interesting. I had that adrenaline rush sort of going all day.

Today I also worked a half-day. Yes, on a Saturday. Which is my day OFF. The medical profession never stops work, I don't think. I'm working on my customer service face (yes I'm still a nurse). It is easier now to give a little more to the patients and treat them more like respected customers (instead of "just a patient" or "a heart problem in bed 2") now that I have most of my basics down (I know the location of the supply closets now, but of course ask me to find something IN them and I'm lost again). I'm going for legendary service, high-quality care, attentive listening and attention to details. I'm going for the feel good and the eye contact and smiling.

I'm not sure why I am all inspired all of the sudden to be super-duper nurse who wants the patient to remember what a good experience they had. I'm not sure if it is really because I care for the patient more, but maybe because I care more now about the place I work for. I want to succeed in nursing, but I want the whole place to succeed, too. I really like the staff I work with. I think it also has to do with I want to take my nursing up to the next level - now that I have most of my basic-basic-basic skills down, I'd like to see improvement elsewhere: not mumbling, making eye-contact, better assessments, better communication, improved patient teaching.

I'm lucky to be a clinic where I have time to do proper patient education - and I have good resources too. I really want to improve this area in these coming months. Until I started working here I didn't realize just how little patients learn or comprehend before and after discharge from the hospital. Or just how badly they can mess up their heart or die by incorrectly following medication instructions. I mean, dude. Sometimes it's pretty bad.

No comments: